Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Gettin' off the sidelines


Brad and I started dating when we were 18 years old. He was a cross country runner in high school, and really seemed to enjoy running, so it was something he continued to do when he could. When we were married, and working, I would go to the gym but he would always prefer going for a run, and he loved to run in races. So I would go and watch and cheer him on. Race after race I would stand and cheer and clap for runners, secretly looking at each woman that went by thinking "her butt is bigger then mine" or "she is at least two sizes bigger then me" or "her thigh's are rubbing more then mine do". For years I was a sideline cheer leader, always saying running was not for me. I was the one holding all the stuff while everyone else was participating.


This past week Brad and I celebrated our 14th wedding anniversary. And this weekend we stayed home, and enjoyed a wonderful weekend. Saturday we ran 8 miles into Rock Creek Park with Brad's friends, Sunday we rode our bikes 45 miles on the C&O Canal and yesterday we ran into Georgetown, another 6 miles. And today I feel fantastic, I am not tired, I am not sore, nothing hurts. When I realized this a few minutes ago I realized how far I have come in those 14 years.


When I started running I hated it. I was slow, it hurt, and my god it was HARD. My first 5K I ran in I think 44 minutes. But each time I ran it got better, and as I got faster and was able to go farther running brought me more pride then anything I did at the gym. Now when I run it's not nearly as hard, it's a comfortable challenge, but instead of hating it I look forward to it, and I enjoy it. I love being able to participate. I am in love with being fit enough to do just about anything I want to. I can join in. I am not the fastest or the best, but I am also not the slowest. For the first time in my life I am no longer on the sidelines, but in the race. Now I'm behind that girl, looking at her butt thinking "her butt is bigger then mine" then I push myself to stand up straighter and run past her. :0)

So to all of you out there on the sidelines, feel free to look at my butt when I run by and feel free to yell out that yours is smaller then mine, but then join me. Because it so much more fun to participate in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment