Thursday, February 18, 2010

Nutrition and Chemo - Part Four


By my second round of Adriamycin I had lost most of my ability to taste. Instead I seemed to have a permanent mouth of metal. Food had to have a strong flavor for me to be able to taste it at all, and so I turned to pickles. Pickles were one of my favorite things during this time, they were strong enough I could taste them, they were cold and refreshing, and they were not spicy enough to upset my stomach.
I also found it hard to drink plain water. I am a fan of sweet, not sour, but my girlfriends mother recommend Crystal Lite Lemonade during this phase of chemo. I am not a lemonade fan, but this stuff was amazing. I could taste it, and I drank tons of it, I could not get enough of it. If you are not a fan of making it yourself, I can also tell you Chick-fil-a also sells it on the fountain. Delicious! Give it a try, you might be surprised.

One last tip that was passed to me, that gratefully I never needed, was for mouth sores. If you chew on ice during your chemo treatment you won't get mouth sores. My Dad had horrible mouth sores until he tried this and it worked! The doctors where he received chemo were so impressed they had an ice maker installed in the chemo room!

No comments:

Post a Comment