Wednesday, February 17, 2010

How to not gain weight during chemo - Part 3

One of the best things you can do for yourself before, during, and after chemo is drink fluids. Lots and lots of fluids. The more you can drink the better. I know when I was going through chemo the smell of the chemicals really got to me. It's overwhelming at times. Your sweat smells like it, and of course your urine smells like it. But I found the more water I drank the better I felt and the weaker the smell.
Chemo is going directly into your blood, and your blood is 60% water. Water flushes toxins out of vital organs, carries nutrients to your cells and provides a moist environment for ear, nose and throat tissues.
Lack of water can lead to dehydration, a condition that occurs when you don't have enough water in your body to carry out normal functions. Even mild dehydration can drain your energy and make you tired. As per the Mayo Clinic you should drink: Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment