Monday, February 15, 2010

Nutrition and Chemo - How not to gain weight - Part One


One of the things that became abundantly clear to me during chemo was the effect that food and drink can have on your body. When I started chemo in October of 2007 I had been following the Weight Watchers Online program, and had lost about 15 pounds. I felt great, and was proud of my weight loss. The more I read on the web about chemo and the side effects the more depressed I became as so many message boards discussed the inevitable weight gain. I was determined not to let this happen to me. I was convinced that I could over come the odds and not gain all of my weight back. And as I faced loosing all of my hair, which, let's face it is one of the most self depreciating things that can happen to you, I was determined I would not add to this the fact that I had gained weight. I wanted to continue to feel like a woman. I wanted to continue to feel that I had life in me, that I had hope, and that I would overcome this. This was the first step for me. Once I had made up my mind that I was not going to gain weight, and that I was going to continue to follow the Weight Watchers Program I felt better. My diet and exercise regimens became, over the next 6 months, the only thing in my life that I had any control over.
This picture was taken before I joined Weight Watchers, before I had cancer, many many pounds ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment