Monday, February 22, 2010

Nutrition and Chemo - How not to gain weight - Part 5

One of the best pieces of advise my Dad gave me about cancer was to pick Tuesdays as your chemo days, this way he told me, you'll feel better by the weekend. Excellent advise!

When I was getting chemo I typically felt pretty good the night of chemo and the next day. Probably because of all of the drugs that they give you to help with side effects. It was when all of those drugs wore off that I would start to feel tired, nauseous, tired, achy, tired... :0) So Fridays were the hardest days for me to not lay on the sofa all day and eat mac and cheese. One really great food that I found that helped was Vitamuffins. Check them out, they taste like a warm chocolate cookie, only they are really good for you! They fill you up, and really taste like a true comfort food. If you like to cook or have someone who wants to cook for you I will also recommend these muffins (I've had this recipe forever but loved it during chemo):

Marvelous Muffins

1 c flour
1 c whole wheat flour
1 3/4 c oat bran
3/4 c packed brown sugar
1/3 c nonfat dry milk
1/4 c flaxseed
4 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 c shredded carrot
2 c chopped granny smith apple
1 c raisins
1 c fat free milk
1/4 c canola oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 large egg whites
1 thin skinned orange unpeeled and quartered

1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Combine all dry ingredients and stir with whisk. Stir in carrot, apple, and raisins.
3. Combine milk, oil, vanilla, egg whites, and orange in blender, process until smooth. Stir into other ingredients just until moist.
4. Spoon into 28 muffin cups pre coated with cooking spray. Bake for 20 mins. Remove from pan immediately and place on wire rack to cool.

Calories 114
Fat 2.8
Protein 3.5
Fiber 3
Iron 1.1 mg
Sodium 188 mg
Calcium 61mg

ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment