Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Junk Food talks to me.....


So this past weekend I was dog sitting for a girlfriend. Since I live in a small townhouse in the city with no yard, I decided it would be easier to sit at her house, so Saturday morning Brad, Jake and I moved in for a few days. She has a great place, very homey, very comfortable, and I was happy to have a few days with a different place to enjoy. Until I saw the candy bowl. On the kitchen table was a giant Halloween size candy bowl full to the rim of bite size snickers, milky way and Reece's. Wait it gets worse...on the counter was a jar of peanut butter, there was another one in the fridge. Across the kitchen on the other counter was a container of sponge cake with a giant container of icing sitting on top of it. Everywhere I looked there was more. The bread drawer had at least 10 dark chocolate bars, along with some Debbie cakes and a kit kat. The freezer had ice cream, and giant slices of cake. I looked at Brad with panic across my face "We can't stay here! I can't do this!"

Junk food calls to me. Peanut butter calls my name, so does icing, and those little tiny cute chocolate bars in there little wrappers sing like in a chorus "Jenny....ohhhhh Jenny, we are here! We love you and we would taste sooooo good!" The only way I can be successful as a dieter is to not have any of these items in my house. When people come over for dinner or the weekend I make them take it home with them, and if they wont I immediately throw it away when they leave. If someone makes me take something home with me, I will throw it away before I get tempted to eat it all. Sometimes I will make Brad stop at a gas station on the way home so I can throw it away. I never take boxes home from a restaurant. So this is me admitting I have no secret "will power" where I can pass it up, I just have my own crazy ways of removing it from my life. But I have learned, that you figure out a way that works for you, and crazy as it may be you do it. I would rather enjoy one giant piece of great cake and eat every bite once a month, then snack on a bite size milky way or two every day. I can't eat just one and leave the rest, it sings to me till I eat them all. :0)

So what did I do at my dog sitting house? I taped the peanut butter jars shut with packing tape. I hid the giant candy bowl up high enough that I couldn't reach it, and didn't see it. I hid the frozen cake at the bottom of the freezer. And I took tinfoil and completely covered the whole bread drawer. A few times over the weekend the peanut butter calling me almost won me over, but I'm happy to say I made it without eating any of it. And now, today, I am back in the safe haven of my house which has no junk food calling my name.

Everyone is different. Robin can pass that candy bowl 14 times a day and never reach in. Louise can eat one section of a candy bar, or two bites of cake and leave the rest. It doesn't really matter how you stop eating the junk, it only matters that you do stop eating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment